Pages

Search

Monday 1 September 2014

Soap & Glory Archery brow filling pencil - Anastasia brow wiz dupe?

Hello!
Recently I spotted a new eyebrow pencil from soap & glory,
It had ditched the 'tint' end and replaced it with a spoolie, 
(no worries if you liked the original as they sell both now!)
I did love the original soap and glory pencil but as I used the tint side less, I 
longed for a spoolie.
After trying the Anastasia brow wiz I fell in love, it was the ultimate eyebrow 
saviour, however the new soap and glory pencil seems to be surprisingly similar in
design, but is it similar in other ways?
...
£8 - link

As you can see, this is a two sided, twist up brow pencil, it comes with caps for both the product and the spoolie to protect them which is nice if you're throwing it in your make up bag, my spoolies always attract fluff or cotton wool.

It's very sleek in design, almost identical to the Anastasia brow wiz, It's obvious that this pencil has been created as a dupe.
The original soap and glory pencil has a thicker tip to the product but this new addition is super thin like the Anastasia version, the only difference between the two in terms of the size is, both have thin nibs but the Anastasia version has a rounded tip and it came that way, the soap and glory version is sharp on the edges and needs wearing down to become a rounded tip, this can be annoying for the first few uses as it can create super harsh lines.
Both pencils are equally thin.
The soap and glory pencil comes in two shades 'blondshell' and 'hot chocolate',
I picked up hot chocolate, the brunette shade - this is a downfall on soap and glory's behalf, there are only two shades, you are either blonde or brunette and the tone of the pencil is meant to just suit everyone?...
With the Anastasia brow wiz, it comes in nine shades! including a black hair shade, a redhead shade and a light blonde, this is a bonus on top of their selection of warm to cool toned browns.
 This is one thing I do prefer 100% and would miss from using the soap and glory pencil.
The soap and glory version is more of a red toned brown than the Anastasia which is more of a taupe based brown, Due to having pink hair and nearly black brown eyebrow hair, I don't want a red/brown eyebrow pencil, so the Anastasia is better for me in terms of colour, it makes my eyebrows less harsh and more natural looking as my brows are sparse.
The Anastasia pencil is more build able and waxier than the soap and glory pencil which is quite hard but distributes more of a harsh, less build able line.
As I just mentioned, with having sparse brows I find I look like a drag queen with them too drawn on, the Anastasia lets me build up the amount I need, where as I need to be careful and very light handed with the soap and glory as it can be overdone very easily.
It's quite a hard pencil but not really waxy like the Anastasia equivalent, it's more of a true brow pencil. 
Both spoolies are next to identical in not only shape but softness, they glide through the brows and product and take some possible harsh lines or colour away making them look more natural.
As you can see, the Anastasia one has been used quite a lot and is pretty dirty, but the soap and glory version was photographed before use.  Besides that there is no difference.

Both products contain 0.085 g of product which is around an inch - an inch and a half in product length, both pencils seem to wear down around the same amount, the Anastasia is waxier so it seems to go down slightly slower but you wouldn't even notice.

As you can see from the below picture, I used a light hand to get a less 'drawn on' effect but you can see the red brown tones, I'd love them to come out with a cool toned brown also, then I'd be sold.

Both contain a good level of pigmentation, the soap and glory version seems to come out more pigmented in one swipe but it can be a little chunky (see swatches above^)
The Anastasia version has to be built up with a few strokes which comes across more natural for those with sparser brows, if you had quite full brows and you wanted a little definition of to fill in the fronts then they would be literally identical, I can only notice a slight difference due to having very fine sparse brows.


The texture of the Anastasia is hard and waxy and the soap and glory is hard but not waxy and more like a traditional pencil.
Both are pretty resistant throughout the day, I have noticed that both stick around all day and don't budge - they are equal in this field.

The packaging is very thin and travel friendly, great for throwing in your make up bag.
neither have the need to sharpen as they're twist up and they both come with caps for the pencil and the spoolie to protect them.
The soap and glory is almost an exact dupe for the Anastasia brow wiz.
The outer packaging is cute too, in true soap and glory style.
Overall I really like both! I do use both, just which ever I grab first as they are so similar.
If I had to pick one then I'd say the Anastasia one is very slightly better, It helps my brows 
to look more natural and it's easier to use, your brows aren't overdone easily.
The soap and glory one takes a little more care and a lighter hand to use BUT it also has a 
lower price tag at just £8 and can be picked up on the high street in your local boots.

I love that there is a drugstore dupe for when money is a little tight or
I can't get hold of my Anastasia pencil, that way I always have a good brow pencil on the go!
If I was handed the two and told to pick one then I'd choose the Anastasia, it's very slightly better but I will surely buy both again.
I bought the soap and glory pencils on offer so I currently have two to use and I will indeed continue to use them.

*All products purchased myself, I am in no way affiliated with any companies nor do they know they're mentioned - I just have no self control when shopping*

 Thanks for reading!

Have you tried these products?

 which do you prefer? 
Follow my links:

No comments:

Post a Comment